We are pleased to offer this scholarship to students whose parents are farm workers and their families in Ventura County. The mission of House Farm Workers! is to support safe, decent and affordable housing for farm workers through advocacy and education. Along with access to safe housing, we believe that all members of our community can benefit from opportunities for greater education. This scholarship reflects our commitment to making sure our farm worker families can thrive.
The scholarship is named in honor of Ellen Brokaw, founding chairwoman of House Farm Workers! A prominent member of Ventura County’s agricultural community, involved in production of lemons, avocados and nursery stock, she has been an inspirational leader in the long campaign to improve the lives of farm workers and their families.
We will award three students, $3,000 each. Winners will receive notification directly from House Farm Workers! by July 18, 2024.
Please note: In order to complete your application please be prepared with the following items:
- You must be a child of a farm worker (seasonal, retired, or injured from farm work is OK).
- You must be a senior graduating from high school who has maintained a minimum 2.3 GPA average and be accepted by a two- or four-year college, OR be a current college student with a minimum 2.5 GPA average.
- If selected, a representative of HFW! will contact you to schedule a home visit in June, to do a video taped interview about what it means to receive the scholarship.
- You must be available to accept the award at our “From Field to Fork” fundraising dinner on July 18, 2024, in the Walnut Grove at Tierra Rejada Ranch in Moorpark. Each scholarship recipient will be given three tickets to the event.
We must receive your application on or before May 6, 2024 with all required attachments.
- One letter of recommendation from a mentor, employer, teacher, advisor, resident housing manager, or coach.
- Your complete high school or college transcript up to the semester you are currently attending.
- A copy of the letter of acceptance from the college you will attend. If you are a returning student or already in college, your current transcript will satisfy this requirement.
- Personal Information Sheet.
- Personal Statement.